Preparing for winter
With summer a distant memory and winter quickly closing in on us, it is important to prepare your vacant home.
Take these steps to safeguard against damage:
* Adjust your thermostat: you should have the heating on a frost setting to keep the temperature above 10c and prevent pipes from freezing.
* Unplug everything: not only will this save you money, it also protects the house from an appliance shorting out and causing a fire or a surge of energy ruining your appliances.
* Turn off the water supply to outside taps: you will usually find a shut off valve in the water supply line somewhere close to where it passes through the outside wall. Make sure you close the water off inside, then open the outside tap. This drains off any water remaining in the pipe or tap. We also recommend installing a cover on the tap.
* Close down your garden: store all outdoor furniture in a shed or indoors, give any lawns a final cut (not too short) and ensure all fences and gates are secured.
* Ensure gutters and drains are clear: clogged gutters and drains can leave your home open to damage during rain or snow storms.
* Lock all windows and doors: also if you have a security alarm ensure this is working and set.
* Tell the neighbours: ask them to keep an eye on your property.
* Check on the house: try and visit the house at least once a week, make sure the house is secured and move post away from the front door.
If you would like to discuss this further or have any queries, please get in touch on 01332 729584 or email firstname.lastname@example.org